Why Study Management?
Business management focuses on the organizing, planning and analysis of business activities that are required to efficiently manage and run a business. Management teaches you to understand how people behave in organizations, and the nature of power, influence and leadership.
Whether you aim to be self-employed, an entrepreneur, head your own company; or work for private businesses, not-for-profit organizations or government agencies – Management gives you the tools for success.
Not only does a management degree open up a range of career opportunities for you, but the skills you learn can also be used in everyday life. If you want to know more about why you should consider studying management then keep reading below:
- Study Management and work for in-and-through organizations: Your career will surely involve working in organizations, regardless of your chosen career path. As an economist, or marketer – or indeed in any job – your effectiveness at work depends on your understanding of the organization you work in, and how to get things done through it.
- Learn about organizations and individuals in Management: You need to understand how people behave in organizations, the sources of power and influence, and the nature of leadership.
- Learn how to be a manager, or manage your own business: If you become a manager, your role will be to direct, lead, plan, manage, encourage, cajole, coach and organise all activities within the organisation. Or maybe you’d prefer to be your own boss – self-employed, an entrepreneur, or the head of your own company?
- Develop key management skills: One of the biggest highlights of studying business management is the key management skills that will allow you to be a valuable asset to any organisation. You will build a skill set to respond to challenges and current developments in business and society, giving you the ability to make informed managerial decisions that consider ethical, economic and social implications.
- An introduction to the business world: A business management degree will help you gain in-depth knowledge and understanding of the core elements of business and management – it’s also a great introduction into the world of business if you have no prior experience. It provides industry insights, such as market trends and industry reports, which can prove to be invaluable and you will be encouraged to apply academic theory to real-life business situations that will help you kickstart your career once you graduate.
- Be your own boss: Not only will you have fantastic career opportunities after you graduate, but you will also have the core elements to start your own business – all you need is a business idea to get you started. Through developing your entrepreneurial skills and being able to test launch any business ideas you might have, a business management degree puts you on the path to be your own boss – you might even meet your future business partner at university.
- You’ll Learn How to Manage Others Effectively: One of the most difficult parts of running a business is managing other people. Studying management gives you all the skills you need to deal with employees in a professional and organized manner. It will also give you the knowledge and confidence you need to direct teams successfully.
- The Skills You Learn are Transferable: Business management courses not only teach you how to manage or start a business, but they also teach you a number of other skills along the way. You will learn skills like how to communicate effectively with others and how to negotiate. You’ll also learn things like organizational skills. These skills can be used in almost every area of your life.
- You’ll Gain Theoretical Knowledge: While nothing can replace the value of hands-on experience in the real world, having enough theoretical knowledge is just as valuable. In fact, the best managers have a powerful combination of theoretical knowledge and practical experience.