Concept of Business Communication
Business communication is the exchange of facts, opinion ideas, and other information from one person to another of common economic objectives. It essential to impart a complete understanding of the subject matter of information. It is a continuous process up to the survival of the organization. It is essential for the implementation of managerial function. Managers provide information of instruction guidance, and suggestion to subordinates to implement plans and policies. It is essential to maintain coordination among the group force and their efforts. It is the means to communicate with outside stakeholders. It is helpful to achieve goals.
Importance of Communication
The following are some of the importance of sound communication system:
- basis of management function
- an aid to decision making
- facilitates coordination
- helps to overcome resistance to changes
- helps to maintain public relation
- facilitates delegation of authority
- smooth and efficient operation
- employee motivation and morale
- basis of sound human relation
- an aid to controlling
Sources of Office Information
The sources of office information may be studied as internal and external sources:
- Internal sources: Office can obtain information through internal sources. In the regular functions of the office, many documents such as letters, correspondence, notices, circular, resolution etc. are prepared.
- External sources: Office can obtain information through external sources. In the regular functions of the office, several information may receive from customers, creditors, suppliers, media, financial institutions data bank, email, internet and through market survey and research.
Types of Communication:
- On the basis of expression: On the basis of the way of expression, communication may be classified into three as oral communication, written communication and non-verbal Communication
- On the basis of organizational structure: On the basis of organizational structure, communication may be classified into formal communication and informal communication
- On the basis of information flow: On the basis of information flow communication may be classified into four as downward communication, upward communication, horizontal communication and diagonal communication.
- On the basis of action: On the basis of action of the members of an organization, communication may be classified as one-way communication and two-way communication.
Means of Communication:
- Oral communication: Oral communication is the exchange of information through the mouth or oral means. The benefit of oral communication is that it provides immediate feedback and saves the time of both: the sender and receiver. In oral communication, the message can be exchanged in face-to-face conversation or thorough mechanical devices.
- Means: The two means of oral communication are face-to-face conversation and mechanical devices. In face-to-face communication, speaker and receiver meet each other personally and exchange message to each other by speaking face to face. personal meeting, discussion, conference, lectures, interviews etc. are the forms of face-to-face conversations. Mechanical devices are used especially when sender and receiver are in the far distance. The mechanical devices used for oral communication are telephone, intercom system, loudspeaker, bells, lights etc.
- Written communication is the transformation of information in written words or means. It is the formal means of transforming information and serves as a permanent reference for future reference. Written communication can be done in the form be letters, circulars, telegrams, memos, reports, etc.
- Means: Written communication can be transmitted either through messengers or through a mechanical device
Meaning of Business Letters
A letter that is written for the business purpose is a business letter. It is an important medium of communication in each and every type of business. Such letters are written for business purpose such as to get enquiry about goods or service, for purchase or sale of goods, when complaints are lodged and adjusted, when accounts are opened or settled etc.
Structure of a Business Letter
For the impression to the reader, a letter should be written with complete structure. The structures of business and official letter somewhat differ from the structure of personal letters. Generally, the following are the structural framework of a business letter:
- subject and reference
- body of letter
- name and signature
- inside name and address
- complementary close
Qualities of Good Business Letter
To make a letter attractive and effective, it should possess some essential qualities. Good Correspondence (letter) should contain the following features:
- Politeness and courteousness
Types of Business Letter
- Inquiry letter: Inquiry letter is written by the buyer to supplier know about the goods and services and terms of business. An inquiry letter contains description of goods price, time, and place of delivery, terms of payment, and other charge.
- Reply to inquiry letter: The supplier writes reply to inquiry letter to the buyers the response of inquiry letter. This letter contains all the information as the buyer has requested in inquiry letter conciseness
- Order letter: Order letter is written after getting response or quotation letter from supplier. It may play the role of contract between supplier and buyer. It containe the following details: specification of goods, mode of payment, delivery period, mode of delivery etc.
- Reply to the order letter: Reply to the order letter is written as a confirmation of order letter Generally, confirmation letter is written when it becomes delay to make delivery of goods to the buyer due to some technical reasons. This letter contains date of order letter accepted, date and mode of dispatch, thank to the buyer, etc.
- Letter of Complaint: Letter of complaint is written by the buyer mentioning complain about business contract regarding quality, time, price of goods etc. In general term writing complaint letter is not convenience from business point of view. It is not appropriate to deliver complaint letter without genuine reason. A complaint letter must be written in courteous manner.
- Answer to complaint letter: This is the letter written as the response of compliant letter. The basic purpose of this letter is to satisfy the customers who are suffering from the related problem. Therefore, assurance should be given to the customer to solve the problem in due time.
- Application Letter: Application letter is written for a post to an enterprise where vacancy is available on the basis of ability. It is a means to apply for a job suitable to one’s own qualification, experience and ability. It is written in order to sell service to employer in the market for the best available price on the basis of ability. Application letter should attract the attention of the employer and for this purpose it should be written in more careful manner by involving all the factual informations