Introduction to software
A set of instructions that directs a computer’s hardware to perform a task is called a program, or software program.
- A computer is made up of two components they are hardware and software.
- Hardware is a physical component and software is a nonphysical component.
- A computer is a dead machine in the absence of software.
- Software system is useless in the absence of hardware.
- Hardware and software together form a complete computer system.
Definition of Software
A set of instructions that directs a computer’s hardware to perform a task is called a program, or software program. It tells the computer what to do, how to do and when to do. Example: MS Word, MS Paint, Facebook, Windows 7, Android, Norton antivirus etc.
TYPES OF SOFTWARE
1. System Software
2. Application software
3. Utility Software
1. System software –
System software controls the overall operations of a computer like basic input, output, control operations. It is responsible for starting the computer. It is designed to provide platform for other software. Example: Windows 10, Linux, Unix etc.
Types of system software:
a. Operating System
b. Language Processor
– Operating system: An operating system is the set of programs that controls the computer and performs overall operations of the system. It acts as an interface between the user and hardware. It also provides operating environment to the other application software. Example: Windows 7, Windows 10, Android
– Language processor: It is a program that converts the program written in high-level language and assembly-level language into machine-level language. Examples: Assembler, Compiler, Interpreter
2. Application software:-
Software that is used to perform a specific job like calculations, painting, word processing and spreadsheet are known as application software. Example: MS Word, MS paint, Photoshop.
Types of application software:
a. Packaged Software: Software created by a reputed company by keeping all the people in mind and to perform general works are known as packaged software. This software is created for general people for doing different work. Example: MS word, VLC media player, MS PowerPoint.
b. Tailored software: Software created on the demand of the user for doing a specific task only are known as tailored software. They are created on the basis of the special requirements of the user. Accounting software like Tally ERP, School management software etc. are examples of tailored software.
3. Utility software:
Software that gives special service to the user of computers like removing viruses and backup systems is known as utility software. These software is used to keep the computer smoothly working. Example: Norton Antivirus, Scan Disk, Debuggers, and so on.